Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Homage to Photography

Photo one: Prophecy of Sisters
Pearls in the rain

Trapped below an attic
Clarence John Laughlin has inspired my recent work. His ability to capture surrealism in his photography has taught me a great deal. His pictures bring an unique feeling to the viewers. And that was what influenced me to take these pictures. I didn't want to just take pictures of flowers and birds, I wanted an object that was unique and different. And if the object was just simple, I wanted to have it in a surrounding that would give that object a stronger meaning. Because its hard to capture surrealism these days, I instead focused on some of his objects that he to used. His work "The Strange Sisters"inspired me to take "Prophecy of Sisters" which is the first photography posted above. Through this picture, I was able to capture the deep connection between two sisters who aren't even alive. The fact that they aren't alive; yet you could feel their connection, and the fact that they were not plain sisters but geisha's brought the unique feeling I was looking for. And hopefully the viewers would too.
    The second photo "Pearls in the rain" was influenced by his work "A Dream of Pearls." I wanted to bring out the characteristics of a pearl necklace, especially during the rain. Usually when I think of rain, I associate that will sadness and gloomy. But having the pearls there brought a sense of beauty to the rain, lightness, and happiness. Also in this photo, I used the reflection of water from the rain. In a lot of Clarence John Laughlin's work, there is reflection of an object. In "Pearls in the rain" the water is used to give a little reflection to the pearls and calming feeling for the picture.
   "Trapped Below an Attic" was a photo I took, which was influenced by Clarence John Laughlin's work in general. In this picture, I focused more on darkness and eerie,  rather than light and happiness. In his photos he doesn't really have a piece of work where the object or place gives a happy feeling, but they were rather mysterious and dark instead. His photos make you stop and think about the deeper meanings to it. This last photo is more surrealist than the others. It wasn't based off of beautifulness etc. Instead, it captured the darkness of an attic, and how shadows and light play with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment